But now, says the Once-ler, now that you’re here, the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear. UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not. ~ Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
By uncovering the lessons nature teaches us about death and grief, I am here to counsel, empower, and support those who consciously yearn to reconnect and protect their wild cousins and their habitats.
Death and grief do not only apply to humans. They teach us lessons to love and appreciate what we have before it’s gone.
Dr. Kriss Kevorkian is on a mission to help us learn these lessons through her ground-breaking research on environmental grief and ecological grief. As the human population increases, encroaching on the habitats of more and more animal species, we must do all we can to live with non-human animals rather than against them. Animals are not property or our entertainment. They are interconnected to us all, and we have to learn that now before we lose more species.
She is a Thanatologist, Deaducator, Climate Leader, writer, and international speaker on issues of end-of-life care, environmental grief and ecological grief and is a Contributing Faculty Member in the Barbara Solomon School of Social Work & Human Services MSW Program at Walden University where she teaches classes including the following:
- Crisis, Trauma and Response;
- Social Work in Trauma, Crisis, and Stress with Military Personnel;
- Vicarious Trauma,
- and Crisis Management.
Dr. Kriss Kevorkian supports her community of Gig Harbor, WA., by
- Facilitating a Death Cafe at the Gig Harbor Library,
- Steering Committee of the Meaningful Movies of Gig Harbor,
- Founder, and Steering Committee Member, of Legal Rights for the Salish Sea. We are working to establish legal rights for the Southern Resident Orca. Under our current legal system humans and corporations have legal standing but animals and ecosystems don’t. We believe that animals and ecosystems should also have legal rights and be able to defend those rights in court.
- Advisory Committee of the Gig Harbor Sustainability Coalition
The Climate Reality Leadership Corps is a global network of activists committed to spreading awareness of the climate crisis and working for solutions to the greatest challenge of our time.
For information, please contact Dr. Kevorkian through the contact form below.
Internet publications include:
“Counseling the terminally ill and their families.” In I. Marini & Stebnicki (Eds.), Professional Counselor’s Desk Reference.
Comments or questions are welcome.